Spring to me is a time of rebirth, renewal and regrowth, particularly in the garden. It’s a fantastic time to plant some new herbs so that they are readily available when cooking. As the warmer weather approaches I turn to cooling drinks such as a smoothies.
On a hot day I love nothing more than a refreshing homemade juice or smoothie to quench my thirst. If you are new to blending, perhaps try different flavour combinations until you find something you like.
Don’t be afraid to mix different things together, and remember you can add in other mixes to boost the nutrient content. Have some fun with it! Enjoy with your friends and family.
Ingredients to try
- LSA mix (Linseed, Sunflower seed and Almond)
- Chia seeds – natures wonder food. If you have not already tried them, do yourself (and your insides a favour!!). Chia seeds are packed with healthy fats, protein and fibre, to keep you full for longer
- Cinnamon – excellent in regulating blood sugar levels, and virtually no calories
- Raw cocoa powder – great for flavour minus the sugar
- Fresh mint adds an interesting zing to fresh juices
- Maple syrup
Mixed Berry & Cashew Smoothie
- 2/3 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon LSA mix (ground linseed, sunflower seeds & almonds)
- 3/4 cup strawberry yoghurt
Other options – mint leaves,
Blitz all ingredients in a blender and serve.
(Recipe: Healthy Food Guide)